Thursday, January 27, 2011

Random Quote Rant and Questions....

Whatever you are be a good one.  ~Abraham Lincoln


I came across this quote earlier and of course it got me to thinking about what Honest Abe really meant. To an optimist, it just means that whatever you do with your life, do it well. Ok, yeah, good advice right? I'm more interested in the deeper meaning and my curious mind likes to questions what exactly the message here is. 

My first point to this is if Abe is telling us to get off our lazy butts and go make something of ourselves and be good at it, or if he's implying that we can do what we want, just as long as we are good at it. 
The latter part of the above statement crossed my mind first. Simple enough right? Just be a good person? I think not. Abraham Lincoln worked most of his life for everything he got, he just wasn't handed things. If the last part of my sentence were true, Abe would've been telling us that if we wanted to be a hobo standing out on the street corner, we could do it, as long as we did it well. Now, I don't know about you, but to me, hobos don't live a very successful and fulfilling life. Am I wrong? I know that some intelligent people out there are like, "Yeah, I know, shut up already" well kudos to you guys for knowing what Abe meant...but there are also some other people who may or may not read this that honestly need to get off their butts and get out and do something with their life. 

There's nothing more pathetic than living with your parents until you're 40. Sorry to say, but unless you have a really good reason for staying with them, you need to move out. Not having a job isn't a good excuse, sorry! I find it even worse when a student graduates from high school and basically refuses to go to college or try to find a job. If you aren't going to do anything with your diploma, then why even get it at all? So you can be called a High School Graduate? I'm sorry to tell you, but high school diplomas aren't very high on the achievement list anymore. Nowadays more jobs are requiring an Associates or a Bachelors degree. There are small local colleges that have cheap tuition that would provide with decent post secondary (post HS) education. If you say you can't afford it, that's what the FAFSA is for. You may be eligible for federal grants or student loans. You never know til you try right? Now, after you had filed your FAFSA, applied for student loans, and still could not afford it, then ok, fine. I understand that. 
If you can't go get a degree, at least try to find a job of some sort! Some money is better than no money right? 


Sorry, I went off on a random tangent...once I get going on something I have to finish it. =) Anyway, have a lovely evening!!! 



No comments:

Post a Comment